Parish Council Minutes – Wednesday 12 September 2018

Present: Fr Kevin Thornton, Nick Neale (chair), Stephen Spooner, Eva Kaltenthaler, Richard Webster, Clare Byrne, Lindsay Reynolds

1. Opening prayer

2. Apologies: Phil, Anne, Stephen P, Jacquie, Anthony and Mike

3 & 4. Minutes July 16th and matters arising

  • ICE for the moment Lindsay and Clare will compile a list of key holders and their contact details. Bishop Ralph’s phone details to be available.
  • Stephen Parker will arrange a meeting with St Williams in October
  • Some of St Williams’ parishioners are attending CAFÉ.
  • Clare will prepare the Parish directory for distribution at the parish day on Oct 7th.
  • Clare continues to follow up the toys belonging to the now disbanded mums and toddler group.

5. Patronal Feast

One Mass at 10am followed by a social gathering with coffee and cakes. Parish council members will be available to chat to the parishioners. Eva will put a notice in Franciscan to encourage people to make cakes.

6. Hall floor refurbishment.

Father Kevin is waiting for a quote for a new surfacing material. The floor has been sanded twice and will not take it again. The new coating will prolong its life.

7. Bishop’s requirements for Mass timetabling.

A letter is expected from the Bishop asking us to prepare a Mass schedule for use when we are relying on one priest. It seems inevitable that we will go down to one Mass on a Sunday. This however is at the planning stage and awaits consultation with Father Cook. Various issues relating to the changes were discussed.

8. AOB

  • At the musicians meeting Richard said they would timetable another Pizza and Praise session and he was asked if Taize evenings could be arranged for Advent
  • Discussion about the AV trolley and the equipment. Stephen S will look for a stand suitable for use with the new sound system and will ask other users about their use of the other equipment.
  • The ‘Gift’ CAFÉ course is going very well with around 30 participants.
  • There was a discussion about Catholic schools and their admission policies. This is an important issue and needs to be taken further. Add to the next agenda.

9. Closing prayer

Next meeting: 14th November at 7pm

Parish Council Minutes – Monday 16 July 2018

Present:

  • Father Kevin
  • Anthony Rossiter
  • Nick Neale
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Lyndsay Reynolds
  • Clare Byrne
  • Richard Webster
  • Mike Campbell

Apologies:

  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Phil Rostant
  • Stephen Parker
  • Jacquie Stacey

1. Opening prayer

2. Appointment to council responsibilities

  • Chair (Nick Neale)
  • Liturgy and Spirituality (Stephen Spooner/Stephen Parker/Clare Bryne/Mike Campbell)
  • Mission, Evangelisation and Faith Formation (Lindsay Reynolds/Stephen Parker/Clare Bryne)
  • Youth Ministry (Lindsay Reynolds/Richard Webster)
  • Justice and Peace (Eva Kaltenthaler)
  • Pastoral Care and Community (Anne Shepherd)
  • Maintenance (David Hughes)
  • Communications (Anthony Rossiter/Richard Webster)
  • Secretary to parish council (Anthony Rossiter)
  • Liaison with St. Williams (Phil Rostant/Mike Campbell)

Nick Neale took over as chair for the remainder of the meeting.

3. Matters arising from minutes of June meeting.

We discussed the need for a parish ICE (In case of emergency) document and indeed the collation of more mundane but essential information. Anthony will email the example from Sacred Heart to Nick Neale who will take this item forward.

The council discussed whether Father would appreciate more support for routine administration tasks, for example a paid parish secretary/administrator. Father Kevin expressed that for now he did not want such help, but he would ask should this change. In the meantime, Mike Campbell will explore the possible definition of equivalent roles in other parishes beginning with his brother-in-law.

4. Liaison with St. Williams

Anthony will email Fr. John and Lesley to hand over to Phil, Mike and Nick and also express the wish for engagement with a wider range of the St. Williams parishioners.

A core precedent is that we feel it is important that we assume and work for an independent parish identity but also we should collaborate, co-operate and develop a sense of shared community.

Father Kevin will decide how, when and if we will use the prayers supplied by the deanery linked to clustering.

Stephen Spooner is happy to invite St. Williams’ parishioners to the CAFÉ series in September, but for now does not want to involve them in the organisation. He will arrange for information to go to their newsletter (and also St. Vincents).

Stephen Spooner is pondering something for Lent in which he may involve St. Williams.

5. Parish social

It was agreed that a good time for this would be on the parish day on Sunday October 7th when there is a shared 10am Mass. We would ask all parishioners to bring some food for a shared lunch.

Richard also proposed another Praise and Pizza (or similar) event led by the music group and this was broadly supported although no time scales or details were discussed.

6. Parish Directory

Details of new parish council members were added and Clare Bryne agreed to arrange printing for the whole parish once the little fishes details were added.

7. Any other business

Clare noted that attendance at children’s liturgy and the number of helpers had been going down recently and so they were considering reducing the number of times this was offered, for example by skipping half term weekends and the like. The council were supportive.

Father Kevin shared information about a ‘walk with me’ booklet. Mike and Stephen Spooner agreed to look at this and decide whether we should acquire some for parishioners to purchase.

Father Kevin noted that a mums and toddlers group that had been coming regularly on Thursdays seems to have folded (and were in debt to us although we are happy to write this off). Also, they still had a number of toys in our cupboard. Clare agreed to follow up and resolve the matter and redistribute toys appropriately in due course.

8. Dates of future meetings

Provisionally agree to do 2nd Wednesday of month, every 2 months, but we will meet more often if there is an obvious need.

September 12th, November 14th, January 9th, March 13th and AGM on May 8th.

9. Closing Prayer

The meeting finished with a prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 19 June 2018 – Annual General Meeting

Present:

  • Anthony Rossiter (chair)
  • Ron Jarman
  • Nick Neale
  • Margaret Neale
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Clare Morgan
  • Diane Rossiter
  • Anne-Marie Appleton
  • Eva Kaltenthaler (minutes)
  • Jenny King
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Alex Krzyz
  • Lyndsay Reynolds
  • Jayne Middlemas
  • Clare Byrne
  • Paul Middlemas
  • Richard Webster
  • Sara Baker
  • Steve Davies
  • Anne Green
  • Grazyna Swales
  • John Green
  • Belinda Barber
  • Alan Wenham
  • Bernie Shepherd
  • Clare Wenham
  • Gillian Burke
  • Derek Hemmingfield
  • Mary Conway
  • Marysia Placzek
  • Jim Conway
  • Angela Titman
  • Tim Baron
  • Jacinta Campbell
  • Richard Bushell
  • Mike Campbell
  • Dave Stanley

1. Opening prayer

Anthony Rossiter led the opening prayer.

2. Brief overview

Anthony Rossiter presented a brief overview of what has been happening in the Parish over the past year.

  • A lift sharing scheme has been put in place.
  • The Parish social was held in May.
  • The Parish Directory has been updated and will be printed and distributed within the next month.
  • Mission continues to be a high priority in the Parish.

3. Financial Report

Derek Hemmingfield presented the annual financial statement showing that there was a modest surplus over the past year.

4. Reports from Parish Council subgroups

The following reports were presented:

  • Justice and Peace (Eva Kaltenthaler)
  • Liturgy and Spirituality (Stephen Spooner)
  • Mission, Evangelisation and Faith Formation (Lindsay Reynolds)
  • Pastoral Care and Community (Anne Shepherd)
  • Maintenance (Eva Kaltenthaler on behalf of David Hughes)
  • Communications (Dave Stanley)

Please see the full Parish Council Annual Report 2017-18.

5. Vision statements and priorities for the Parish

A discussion was held and Parishioners made suggestions for priorities for the Parish:

  • Provision for Youth, this could include Mass books for children who have had their first communion. Another suggestion was for a Youth leader for the Parish and it was suggested that we could request more input from the Diocese for this. A number of other suggestions were put forward and it was agreed that a small group could be formed to develop some of these suggestions.
  • Mass numbers: John Green presented a report on Mass numbers for the past 10 years and it was suggested that this be looked at in more depth and that it would be helpful to compare Mass numbers for 9am and 11am.
  • Social events: There was a request that more Parish social events be held.

6. Pastoral ministry course update

Lyndsay Reynolds is doing the Loyola online course and enjoying it very much. She wanted to thank the Parish for their support. Deacons in the Diocese are also doing the course.

7. Policy on charitable giving

Anthony Rossiter asked for views on how we should make decisions on charitable giving both with regard to which charities to give to and the amounts the Parish Council contributes to these charities. It was suggested that transparency as to how decisions are made was important. The Parish Council will be taking this forward and develop a policy on charitable giving and to share with the Parish.

8. Election of new Parish Councillors

The following Parishioners came forward to stand as new members of the Parish Council:

  • Richard Webster
  • Mike Campbell
  • Phil Rostant
  • Jacquie Stacey

Lyndsay Reynolds kindly agreed to continue on the Parish Council for another term. David Hughes will be standing down although will continue with maintenance tasks. A number of Parishioiners agreed to help out where needed with specific tasks: Richard Bushell, Marysia Placzek, Clare Wenham, Belinda Barber and John Green. Anthony Rossiter thanked the retiring Parish Councillors for their service: Dave Stanley, Anne Shepherd and David and Julie Hughes. It was agreed that for the foreseeable future Parish Council meetings would be held monthly.

9. Sheffield Deanery plans

Stephen Spooner, Stephen Parker and Diane Rossiter have recently attended a Sheffield Deanery meeting to discuss plans moving forward to group Parishes. A summary of the meeting was presented. St Francis will be grouped with St William’s. The two churches will have three Masses between them.

Anthony Rossiter said that he has already had contact with the Priest from St Williams Parish and he is happy to start planning discussions with St Francis. He stressed the need to direct our future as best we can. There are some questions still to be answered such as whether or not we will still have a Parish Council. Other unanswered questions were what will happen with the Easter Vigil and Christmas Eve Masses and what will happen to the current school configurations.

It was not clear what the impact will be on younger people of having fewer Masses. It was also stressed that it was important to hear Father Kevin’s views on any plans for the future. Several people said that it was essential to maintain the spiritual dynamic of the 11am Mass. Other options for spiritual growth could be considered such as: prayer groups, daily offices and Taize services. A joint Parish social with St William’s could be held. The Parish Council will ensure that the whole Parish will be involved in planning the way forward.

10. Closing Prayer

The meeting closed with a prayer and refreshments were enjoyed.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 10 April 2018

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Clare Byrne
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Stephen Spooner
  • David Stanley
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • Anthony Rossiter (chair)
  • Nick Neale

Apologies:

  • Julie Hughes
  • David Hughes

1. Opening Prayer

Fr Kevin led the opening prayer.

2. Approval of last minutes and matters arising

The minutes from the January 2018 meeting were approved.

3. Matters arising from the last meeting

Clare agreed to help Fr Kevin with formatting the parish directory and printing 100 copies to distribute.

4. Parish social and poster

David brought a poster which summarised the plans for the parish social on Saturday May 12th. The council accepted this and we will move immediately
to advertising and ticket sales from Sunday 22nd April. Anthony will arrange tickets and the item in the newsletter.

5. Cafe videos

Eva proposed a series of videos that could be used for a series of parish evening sessions on spiritual development. She proposed one called the Gift course
and the council agreed that she should go ahead, arrange purchase and other details as required with the aim of running the sessions around September time. She would need 3 to 4 helpers/facilitators and Lyndsey and Clare have both volunteered already.

6. Sound system

There was concern that the current sound system is over complicated and unuseable for all but two parishioners who would normally not be present and thus defeating the object of owning it. As for most meetings a very simple sound system, such as speakers running off a laptop, is more than ample it was agreed to delegate Stephen to research and purchase such a simple alternative. In slower time, we need to consider the role, cost effectiveness and possible repair of the more complex system.

7. Request for money for Uganda

A group of parishioners gives regular donation to Fr Francis in Uganda and gave a specific request for some significant funding from the parish. The council was
concerned with how to manage such requests fairly and in accordance with the wishes of the whole parish and thus proposed in the first instance a general request for donations through the newsletter with us topping this up later. Eva will follow this up with Susanna Baron. An item on the charitable giving of the parish will be presented at the AGM to gain input from more parishioners.

8. Update on First Holy Communication preparation pastoral ministry

Lyndsey reported that she had several volunteers to assist with baptism preparation and one new volunteer for First Holy Communion. She is working with them now. She also reported a strategic aim to do more for the youth and to form links with the schools. She is having discussions with Jonathan Yewdall and others on possible
projects. The council encouraged her to choose just one project rather than several as this is then more likely to be done well and with success.

9. Update on Pastoral Ministry course

Lyndsey reported that it is hard work but going well and reiterated her thanks for the support.

10. Plumbing and general infrastructure

Following the recent burst pipes during the snow, the toilets are useable but long term repairs are still outstanding with the plumber promising to return when less busy. Subsequently it has also become apparent that many of the velux windows are leaking and need repair or replacement; quotes are being collected. There have also been some problems with internal doors which again have been repaired. All these will incur significant expense which will likely reduce or eliminate the parish’s surplus this year.

11. Parish response to snow and jobs like faulty alarms and leaking pipes.

It was recognised that the current mechanisms are not robust being highly reliant on Fr Kevin and just a few others. It was agreed this item should be discussed at a later meeting when time was available.

12. Crosspool festival

We have been asked to give some input to this in 2019 and this has been suggested as an agenda item in the Autumn. In the meantime, Fr Kevin has agreed that our organ can be used this year by Mr Silverton for an event on July 1st.

13. Date of next meeting

Date of next meeting will coincide with the AGM and is proposed as Tuesday June 19th at 7.30pm. There will be a need for some preparation and items in the
newsletter to encourage new members and Eva has agreed to organise this in Anthony’s absence. It was suggested that if this coincided with the monthly tea organised by Anne-Marie that perhaps someone could talk to her about providing some cakes. Also, someone should organise wine, cheese and other refreshments.

14. Closing Prayer

Fr Kevin led the closing prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 16 January 2018

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Anthony Rossiter (chair)
  • Claire Byrne
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • David Stanley
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Julie Hughes
  • David Hughes

Apologies:

  • Anne Marie Shephard
  • Deacon Stephen Parker
  • Nick Neale

1. Opening Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the opening prayer.

2. Approval of last minutes and matters arising

The minutes from the November 2017 meeting were approved.

3. Matters arising from the last meeting

  1. Home visits for new parishioners will be undertaken by parish council members if required.
  2. The parish website has now added a link to Hallam Caring Service.
  3. Diane Rossiter has kindly agreed to coordinate ‘lifts to mass’ for parishioners who require this.
  4. Parishioners with mobility problems may benefit from a visit by one of our Eucharistic Ministers to the home. A request for volunteers to assist with this service will be made in the Franciscan – volunteers do not need to be DBS checked.
  5. David Hughes has risk assessed the chairs in the hall. At present there is no need for them to be changed. A polite notice regarding safety when lighting candles
    is now in place.
  6. A parish social event is to be held after Easter 2018. Anthony Rossiter to speak to Petra regarding entertainment for the event.
  7. The Parish Directory is almost completed for printing and distributing.
  8. Lyndsey Reynolds is to make an announcement after mass and request for Parishioners to come forward if they are interested in undertaking a Baptismal Catechist Role.
  9. Eva Kaltenthaler is to look on the catholic cafe website with a view to obtaining some resources to promote discussion around evangelisation.
  10. David Stanley stated that Paul Middlemas is to step down from his role in organising and facilitating the parish website. A request will be made in the Franciscan for any interested parties to step forward and take on this valuable and important role.

4. Any other Business

  1. Fr. Kevin is to send £300 to the St. Marie’s Organ Fund.
  2. A parish retreat is to be held on 03/02/2018. Fr. Kevin from Ampleforth is to conduct a Lenten retreat on 17/03/2018.
  3. All electrical and gas equipment on the church premises has now been checked. Certificates for these checks are to be forwarded for the ‘Parish Toolbox?’

5. Date of next meeting

Tuesday 20/03/2018 at 8pm.

6. Closing Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the closing prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 21 November 2017

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Anthony Rossiter (chair)
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • Claire Byrne
  • David Hughes
  • Julie Hughes
  • Dave Stanley

Apologies:

  • Deacon Steven Parker
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Nick Neale

1. Opening Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the opening prayer.

2. Approval of the last minutes

The minutes from the September 2017 meeting were approved.

3. Matters arising from the last meeting

a) Suggestion box – suggestions from Parishioners were as follows:

  1. A suggestion was put forward that there could be one mass only on Sunday mornings. Father confirmed that while he is fit and able he is happy to continue to have 2 masses.
  2. A home visit could be offered to new Parishioners. It was decided that the offer of a home visit should be available. This information could be clear on the Parish website (Dave Stanley to action) and in talks with Father it has been agreed that he will pass on information about new parishioners to the parish council.
    ACTION: The council needs to identify suitable parishioners (in pairs) who are happy to do these visits.
  3. An enquiry was made as to whether Sunday sermons could be recorded. Father Kevin stated that this was not a possibility.
  4. It was suggested that the Parish website should have information regarding the Hallam Caring Service on the website. Dave Stanley to action if feasible.
  5. A request for support of elderly Parishioners to attend mass by the provision of car lifts. A list of volunteers who would be interested in supporting is required but such people would need to be DBS checked before we offer the service. ACTION: Anthony to liaise with Bobbo over the DBS issue before we actively seek volunteers in the new year. Diane Rossiter has agreed to be the coordinator once we are ready to deliver the service.
  6. Suggestion about fundraising for CAFOD Youth constructing a ‘Tippy Tap’ outside. Eva to follow up on this.
  7. An enquiry regarding a retreat recorded by Father Raniera Cantelamesse. Father confirmed that the Diocese already runs a number of similar retreats so it is best not to spread ourselves too thin on such things.
  8. The Dance club asked if a cheaper hall hire rate was possible. Clarification to be sought regarding the current hourly rate of hall hire fees. It was agreed that the reduction currently offered was already quite generous. Anthony to write to Grazyna to confirm the answer was no.
  9. Concerns raised about the chairs in the hall which may need recovering. Concerns raised regarding the lighting of candles. ACTION: David Hughes to risk assess these items.
  10. A request for more Parish social events was made. ACTION: A future social event for the Parish to be placed on the agenda and discussed at the next meeting.
    Likely not to want anything before Easter which is early in 2018.

b) Parish Directory: ACTION: all council members to check that the named Parishioners are happy for their contact details to be made available so this can
be distributed in the new year.

c) Update on Baptismal Catechists. Lyndsey Reynolds has contacted Fr. John Ryan regarding possible training for this role. ACTION: Lyndsey to ask for
interested parties within the Parish to come forward once details of training has been confirmed.

d) Feedback on Justice & Peace Day – covenant for the poor to be refreshed.

4. Evangelisation

‘Evangelisation’ to be placed on the January 2018 agenda.

5. The Loyola certificate in Pastoral Ministry

Lyndsey is interested in completing this. The parish council agreed to support Lyndsey in this, both as a parish representative and with the recommended financial contribution. (She has recently confirmed her acceptance on the course.)

6. Any other business

a) MISSIO: St. Francis are offering support to Seminarian: Peter Chaimapadoko of Malawi. Peter will be ordained in 2021.

b) St. Marie’s organ restoration fund. A concert is to be held on 8.12.2017 at St. Francis. This is free of charge but donations will be welcome.

7. Date of next meeting

Tuesday 16.01.2018 at 8pm.

8. Closing Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the closing prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 19 September 2017

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Anthony Rossiter
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • Nick Neale
  • Claire Byrne
  • David Hughes

Apologies:

  • Dave Stanley
  • Deacon Steven Parker

1. Opening Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the opening prayer.

2. Approval of the last minutes and matters arising

The minutes from the July meeting were approved.

3. The Parish Directory

The Parish Directory has now been updated. Parish council members are listed under roles/responsibilities/sections.

Further discussion at next meeting will decide about the availability/form of contact details.

A copy of the updated directory will then be added to our Parish website.

4. Any other business

  1. A discussion took place regarding the future appointment of catechists for baptism. Details of the relevant training for this role are to be acquired from the diocese. Lyndsey Reynolds offered to find out more details.
  2. It was agreed that ‘Evangelisation’ would be a key item on the agenda of the next Parish council meeting. Discussion to be held on how our Parish can take this forward.
  3. The Parish Day is the 1/10/2017.
    A request for ‘home baking’ to support this celebration to be placed in the Franciscan.
  4. Justice and Peace
    The S2 food bank – it would be useful if food items in particular demand could be highlighted. Financial support is also to be requested in the future to support the food bank initiative.
    The Diocesan Justice and Peace Day will take place on the 28/10/2017. Lyndsey Reynolds will attend this.
    The ‘Connect 2’ initiative will go ahead where the Parish may connect with an overseas Parish e.g. Ethiopia.
  5. The Organ at St. Marie’s Cathedral has been restored. Hugh Finnigan has asked if each Parish in the diocese would hold a concert in support of part of the restoration fund.
    Parish council members felt that a concert in the Parish would be a great opportunity for a social event. It was hoped that the concert could be scheduled for early November 2017.
    Anne volunteered to contact Hugh and discuss this further.
  6. Ezekiel Ghunda from Milawi is unable to continue with his training into the Priesthood. Parish funds are to be made available and transferred for training another student.

5. Date of next meeting

  • Tuesday 21.11.2017

6. Closing Prayer

Fr. Kevin Thornton led the closing prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 18 July 2017

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Deacon Stephen Parker
  • Clare Byrne
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Anthony Rossiter
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Dave Stanley

Apologies:

  • David Hughes
  • Julie Hughes
  • Nick Neale

1. Opening Prayer

Fr. Kevin opened the meeting with a prayer.

2. Approval of the last minutes and matters arising

The AGM was held on Tuesday 16 May after the evening Mass. Each group had given a report.

  • Justice & Peace – Eva Kaltenthaler/Sian Porter
  • Maintenance/Diocesan Toolbox – David Hughes
  • Dave Stanley – Communication
  • Anne Shepherd – Hallam Churches Together/Pastoral Care
  • Julie Hughes – Parish Council secretary/ Pastoral Care
  • Lindsay Reynolds – Mission/Evangelisation/Faith Formation and Pastoral Care

Faith Formation events would be Diocesan led. Faith sharing would be parish based.

Taize events would continue during Advent and Lent.

Hallam Church events would be advertised earlier.

3. News from the Hallam Diocese

Fr Stan PP in Deepcar & Penistone will retire August 2017. Masses will be covered by St Mary’s, High Green, Sacred Heart and the Cathedral.

Consultation meetings about the future of the Diocese will re-commence September and will try to work out where Masses will be celebrated and how
North/South can work together. There is limited manpower and cuts are inevitable. Opportunities for people to help more will hopefully be made.

Fr Lee Marshall will be looking after the two University Chaplaincies.

A Vincentian priest working in the Diocese has returned to Africa.

Fr Shaun Smith (PP Sacred Heart Church) will retire in March 2018.

4. Parish News

Stephen Parker and Stephen Spooner will lead the Parish Retreat Day on Saturday 30 September at St Francis Church – more details nearer the time but
this event will be advertised soon to remind everyone to keep the day free if possible.

The Bereavement Support group had ceased some time ago.

Catechists are needed for Baptism Preparation.

50% of parishioners had completed the recent questionnaire and Lindsay will circulate the results.

2018 Synod on Youth – item closed on Facebook.

Children’s Liturgy group – the new venue upstairs was going well, safety issues with the stairs well looked after. Storage boxes from IKEA would be purchased. Dave Hughes had suggested safety protectors for the electric sockets and these had been fitted by Bruce Byrne. The childrens books under the stairs to be sorted out.

5. Any other business

There will be a retreat Day in Lent given by a priest from Ampleforth. More news at the next meeting. Dave Stanley offered to design a poster.

A discussion was held to appoint a new Chairperson for the Parish Council. It was decided to appoint Anthony Rossiter who willingly accepted.

It was decided to re-look at the Parish Directory as it had been a while since any were given out.

Contact details of the council will be circulated.

A document will be prepared describing details of work in the parish and who to contact. Council members are asked to pass details to Anthony.

6. Dates of the next meetings

  • September 19
  • November 21
  • January 16

7. Closing Prayer

Deacon Stephen Parker closed the meeting with a prayer at 9:30pm

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 16 May 2017 – Annual General Meeting

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Deacon Stephen Parker
  • Greg Ryan (Chair)
  • Dave Stanley
  • Anne Shepherd
  • David Hughes
  • Julie Hughes (Minutes)
  • Lyndsey Reynolds
  • Derek Hemmingfield
  • Belinda Barber
  • Anthony Rossiter
  • Diane Rossiter
  • Clare Byrne
  • Bernie Shepherd
  • Phil Rostant
  • Julie Hull
  • Sian Price
  • John Green
  • Anne Green
  • Ron Jarman
  • Norma Smith
  • Stephen Davies
  • Alex Krzyz
  • Sarah Baker

1. Opening prayer

Fr. Kevin led the opening prayer.

2. Annual Report

Greg Ryan opened the meeting and welcomed the parishioners in attendance. The purpose of the AGM was outlined which was to hear annual reports from the different groups, invite questions/feedback from parishioners after each presentation and to elect new members of the Parish Council. Greg also informed parish members that he was standing down as ‘chair’ as he and his family are leaving the parish.

Stephen Parker presented a report from the Liturgy and Spirituality group. He discussed activities which had been held over the past year. Future events are to include a Parish retreat and a day of recollection is to take place on 30.09.2017. Stephen emphasised the vibrant liturgical community of our Parish.

Sian Price presented a report from the Justice and Peace group. John Green is to retire as ‘minute taker’ for the group and was thanked for his valuable contribution. Fund raising events throughout the year have included the Pantomime, Dance Club, Water Project. The meeting was informed that the Food Bank requires donations of money as well as food. There has been support for refugees, asylum seekers and money has been raised for the SVP. Aims for next year are for the group to be aligned more closely with the Diocesan Justice and Peace group. Tim Baron is arranging for Standing Orders to be set up for the food bank. There is to be support for some Muslim charities.

David Hughes presented a report on Building and Maintenance. Two main projects have been undertaken over the year. These were Fire Safety and Emergency lighting. The Health and Safety toolbox which is a computer programme which assists with the process of assessing risk has now been significantly established for our parish.

Lyndsey Reynolds presented a report on Mission, Evangelisation and Faith formation. Over the past year there have been 2 main events:

  1. ‘Joy of the Gospel’ course
  2. Taize evening and Jazz evening

National and Deanery events had included: Catholic Peoples Weeks(CPW), Laudato Si, Diocesan Emmaus course. For the future it is hoped that a parish group can be established to contribute ideas on the Mission and Evangelism of the church.

Julie Hughes presented information from the Pastoral Care group and emphasised that the group have aimed to support some of the well-established activities which take place throughout the year in our parish.

Dave Stanley presented a report on Communication. The Parish notice boards have been re-organised this year. A facebook page for the parish has now been piloted.

Anne Shepherd presented a report on ‘Hallam Churches Together’. This includes 6 churches in our local community. Anne spoke of some of the pastoral work and groups which take place facilitated by the church communities.

Please see the full Parish Council Annual Report 2016-17.

3. Finance Report

Derek Hemmingfield presented a report on the finances of the Parish.

4. Views and suggestions from the Parish

John Green advised regarding maintenance work required to the church door.

It was suggested that a notice be displayed in the Narthex highlighting that we now have a defribulator positioned in the hall.

Sheffield Parishes Together

Greg spoke about the fact that the number of priests are reducing in our Diocese. Lyndsey Reynolds and Chris Dingle are representing St. Francis Parish in meetings and discussions with respect to ‘Planning the Way forward for Sheffield Parishes’. The next meeting will take place at the Hallam Pastoral Centre 7pm-9pm on 20.07.2017. See a report of the current situation and main themes of the meeting which was held earlier this year.

5. Election of new Parish Councillors

Three new Parish Councillors were elected. These were Anthony Rossiter, Clare Byrne and Nick Neale.

The next meeting of the Parish Council is to be confirmed in the near future.

6. Any other Business

There was no other business.

7. Closing Prayer

Deacon Stephen Parker led the closing prayer.

Parish Council Minutes – Tuesday 17 January 2017

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Greg Ryan (chair)
  • Stephen Spooner
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Anne Shepherd
  • Dave Stanley
  • Julie Hughes (minutes)
  • Claire Byrne
  • Louise Garnett

Apologies:

  • David Hughes
  • Lyndsay Reynolds
  • Stephen Parker

1. Opening Prayer

Fr. Kevin Thornton led the opening prayer.

2. Approval of last minutes and matters arising

The minutes from the November meeting were approved.

Matters arising

Council members felt that a security check for the church would be useful. This can be arranged, and conducted by South Yorkshire Police. David Hughes to contact South Yorkshire Police to arrange this

3. Any other Business

  • The curtains in the hall have now been fireproofed (December 2016).
  • The Dance Group have requested the use of the church sound system. Stephen Spooner expressed concern that this equipment is not working correctly. Greg Ryan to review the sound system and check the equipment. This system could then be used by the Dance Group.
  • The ladies toilets. Eva Kattenthaler and Anne Shepherd to ensure that baby changing equipment, soap dispensers and hand drying facilities are
    fit for purpose.
  • A request has been made by the children of St. Maries School, they are raising funds to purchase a cross for the School Prayer Garden. The Parish Council agree
    to donate some money towards this purchase.
  • The De-fibrillator is now available for use and situated in the hall. There is free training available for one person in the use of this equipment. The training is given by St. John’s ambulance staff. Any member of the parish who is interested in completing the training should speak to Father Kevin.
  • Missio: The St. Peter & Paul Apostle organisation provide training for Priests in different parts of the world. A decision was made that Father Kevin will send a donation from the parish to sponsor the training of a Priest in Malawi.
  • Night stop is a National Project to support young homeless people. A request has been made to the Parish to support the project. The Justice and Peace group will take this forward.
  • Facebook. Dave Stanley is willing to take the lead in creating a facebook page for the Parish. This would be a public page. The editorial would be controlled. A pilot group would be set up initially to monitor and assess this.
  • Storage under the stairs. The space under the stairs needs to be de-cluttered. Claire Byrne and Louise Garnett request that some plastic boxes and moveable trollies could be purchased to store equipment for the Children’s Liturgy. There was a discussion about whether the upper room could be used for the Children’s Liturgy in the future.

4. Report from the Sections

Justice and Peace: This Lent there will be emphasis placed on supporting refugees. A speaker from the City of Sanctuary will give a talk following one of the Sunday Masses at 11am. Soup and bread will be served after this event.  Minutes from the Justice and Peace group will be available on the Parish website.

Pastoral: There was a discussion regarding the welcoming of new parishioners to our Parish.

The music group: Sadly Greg Ryan will be leaving the Parish from June 2017. A meeting is to be held to invite interested parties to contribute to the music group in the future.

Next Parish council meeting to be held on 21.3.2017.

5. Closing Prayer

Fr. Kevin led the closing prayer.