Parish Council Minutes
Tuesday 21st March 2017
- Fr Kevin Thornton
- Deacon Stephen Parker
- Greg Ryan
- Eva Kaltenthaler
- Stephen Spooner
- Anne Shepherd
- Lyndsey Reynolds
- David Hughes
- Julie Hughes
- Grazyna Swales
- Penny Watt
- Claire Byrne
There were no apologies.
1. Opening Prayer
Fr. Kevin led the opening prayer.
2. Approval of the last minutes and matters arising
The minutes from the January 2017 meeting were approved.
Greg Ryan has reviewed the sound system and this is currently fit for purpose.
Eva and Ann have reviewed the facilities provided in the toilets. Hand towels have now been provided to complement the hand drying equipment. The changing facilities for babies/toddlers are adequate.
Sheffield Parishes meeting 30.3.2017. Chris Dingle and Lindsey Reynolds have agreed to represent our Parish. Greg Ryan and Stephen Parker will also be attending. The meeting will provide an opportunity for discussion about planning for the future in the Deaneries.
3. Any other Business
- Grazyna and Penny discussed concerns that future "matched funding" for charities may be ceased by the Government. There was agreement by council members that the parish would hold an appeal for the South Sudan crisis on 2.4.2017. Stephen Spooner agreed to talk after both Masses on 26.3.2017 to raise the profile of this devastating crisis. The Parish has agreed to "match" the money raised at this collection.
- The Children's liturgy. Claire has emailed the parents of children currently attending the Childrens liturgy. It has been agreed that a pilot study will be conducted regarding the Children's liturgy being facilitated in the upper room of the church after Easter. David Hughes stated that a risk assessment of the room and stairs would have to be carried out. It was agreed that children making their First Holy Communion should remain in church and participate in the Mass. Greg Ryan will discuss this with Rose.
- Laudato Si', the second encyclical of Pope Francis. Lindsey attended this discussion along with Jenny King. A plan on how we can respond to Laudato Si', "On Care for our Common Home" is to be discussed.
- Organ tuning and wooden stools. The organ is to be tuned in September 2017. Greg will dispose of some of the wooden stools as they are unsafe.
- Father Kevin informed the council that he had received a letter of thanks from St Marie's school. This was with regard to a donation made for a Cross in the Prayer garden.
- Bishop's conference. Pope Francis wishes to focus on the views of Catholic youth. A youth poll is to be conducted which will look at young people's views on Faith and the Church.
- The next Justice and Peace meeting will take place during the third week in April 2017.
- There will be a Taize evening on 4.4.2017 at 7:30pm. There will be no mass on that evening
- The maintenance tool box is almost currently up to date for our Parish.
- The Annual General meeting will be held on Tuesday the 16th of May 2017 at 8pm. Refreshments will be provided. Council members will be giving a small presentation on achievements/experiences over the past year. There will be a request for new members for the Parish Council and a new Chair for the meetings.
4. Closing Prayer
Stephen Parker led the closing prayer.