Parish Council Minutes

Tuesday 16th September 2014

Present:

  • Fr Kevin Thornton
  • Stephen Spooner (chair)
  • Belinda Barber
  • Jacinta Campbell
  • Jim Conway
  • Gill Foster
  • John Green
  • Eva Kaltenthaler
  • Jayne Middlemas (minutes)
  • Greg Ryan

Apologies:

  • Stephen Parker
  • Anne Shepherd

1. Fr Kevin led the prayer.

2. The minutes of the last meeting were approved.

3. Arrangements for the Parish Day.

It had previously been agreed that we will have a single Mass at 10am on Sunday 5th October for the Feast of St Francis.

As the AGM was held in June, it was agreed that the purpose of the Parish Day was a social event to bring together the whole parish. We had previously discussed having stalls to publicise the work of various groups in the parish but it was felt that it was too late to organise this. There would be no formal agenda but a suggestion box/flip chart would be provided for parishioners to note ideas of what they would like the Parish Council to do over the coming year. In addition, Parish Councillors would wear name badges and mingle in case Parishioners wish to raise anything with them.

It was felt that it would be too early for a shared lunch but that we wanted to offer more that coffee and biscuits. It was agreed that red & white wine, juice, lemonade and tea and coffee would be provided. Parishioners would be asked to bring cake/scones to share.

4. Ideas for what the Parish Council should do in the coming year.

Parish Councillors made the following suggestions for things the Parish Council should do over the coming year.

  • Refurbish the toilets
  • Revive the luncheon club
  • Hold training for readers
  • More on evangelisation
  • Bible Study Group
  • Children's creche during the week
  • Develop a more formal way of determining what people in the Parish want
  • Reach out to people in the community
  • Get a dishwasher
  • Encourage more people to join the rotas for the various ministries
  • Hold occasional Youth Masses

There was some discussion of these ideas and some were felt to be difficult to pursue (e.g. luncheon club had worked well in the past but professional caterers would be expensive and the kitchen probably wasn't up to standard, we have already tried to get people to join rotas in the past). Others (e.g. children's creche, youth Mass, Bible Study Group) would only work if there was demand for them in the Parish and past experience (Lectio Divina group ended due to falling numbers, attendance at Little Fishes is low, it was difficult to find young people willing to carry out the Ministries at previous Youth Masses) seemed to suggest that there wasn't.

It was hoped that the suggestion box at the Parish Day may help to identify what the Parish wants. It was also agreed that it would be good to have a more formal questionnaire later in the year.

It was agreed that we should do more on evangelisation and we would think about setting up a sub-group of 4 or 5 people to take this forward. It was agreed to obtain quotes for refurbishing the toilets (painting, new floor and installing new hand-dryers and lights). It was also agreed to get a plumber to look at the kitchen to see where a dishwasher might fit.

5. Brief reports from each section

Liturgy, Spirituality & Faith Formation - the Inspir Guided Prayer week had been cancelled due to limited interest.

Justice & Peace - the Justice & Peace meeting was cancelled due to illness so nothing to report.

Youth Work & Nurture - Confirmation was going ahead on 22nd September. 3 members of the Parish are doing the Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies.

Pastoral Care & Community - the will be an Ecumenical event in Lent.

Maintenance - nothing to report but John and Jim will get together before the next meeting.

Communications - Jayne is going to update the Parish Council organogram.

Next meetings:

Tuesday 18th November and Tuesday 20th January.

Action Points

  • Jayne to include a note in the Franciscan about the Parish Day.
  • Stephen S to buy name badges for Parish Councillors for the Parish Day.
  • Jayne to buy wine, juice and lemonade for the Parish Day.
  • Stephen S to arrange for a suggestion box at the Parish Day.
  • John and Jim to arrange quotes for refurbishing the toilets for discussion at the November meeting.
  • Stephen to arrange for a plumber to visit to advise what would be needed to install a dishwasher.