Justice and Peace Minutes – Minutes of meeting 03.07.2019

Present Sian (chair), Eva, Stephen, Tim, Susanne. Sarah B (minutes)

Apologies Sarah L, Margaret

Matters arising from previous minutes

Very positive feedback about the Lenten reflections – although some would appreciate a larger and more distinct font.

May Day Trek – poorly attended by the parish.

S2 Food Bank – we have received a certificate of thanks for our contributions.

Diocesan Environmental Policy

Unfortunately this was received by us at rather short notice. It seems unclear whether the policy will remain in this rather confused format, or will be edited before being launched. What form will the launch take? There were some comments on the scope of the policy –Individual comments to be sent to Eva a.s.a.p.

Creation Service

It was agreed that this would be a service (as opposed to a Mass) – at 7.30 on Friday 18th October. The format will be readings, prayers and music (suggestions from the Cafod booklet), to last about 30 minutes and to be followed by cake etc, coffee/tea. On each table there will be a copy of the Quiz and “10  practical things to do to make a change”. To help estimate numbers for catering purposes, tickets will be sold at £2.00 – proceeds to fund a ?bird box/bee hotel or similar in church garden. People will also be asked to sign a petition to the Prime Minister.

Eva will liaise with Richard re the involvement of the music and the youth groups  – and find a date in August for a meeting with him, others interested and any of J&P group who can attend- principally to structure the service, plus other arrangements.

Eva will also circulate to us likely overseas cake recipes to practice.

Stephen will liaise with Fr Kevin;  will add information to the newsletter e.g.tickets, cake, nearer the time.

Susanne and Stephen will produce the “10 things to do”.

Susanne will produce the tickets.

Tim will edit down the Quiz.

Sarah will contact Anne Shepherd re advertising the event to the Hallam council of Churches, and will gather signatures for the Cafod petition.

Meeting to finalise arrangements – Wednesday 16th October.

A.O.B.

Panto Tim has offered to help with the script.

Justice and Peace Minutes – Minutes of meeting 01.05.2019

Attendees: Sarah B, Susanne, Stephen, Sian (chair), Tim, Eva (minutes)

Apologies: Sarah L

Foodbank
The S2 foodbank has a Facebook page where the most needed items are posted, although this is not always up to date. Sarah B agreed to inform the parish when there were specific requests for items.  There is an ongoing need for direct debits and standing orders. Sarah B will ask the foodbank fi there is a need to increase these and if so put a note in the bulletin about this.

CAFOD

The current CAFOD campaign is “Our Common Home”. Some events to support this campaign have been advertised in the bulletin. We discussed the possibility of having a Creation celebration later in the year. This would possibly be on 11 October (Friday) and include a Mass or service, a shared meal and a quiz about climate change.

Several actions were associated with this:

  1. Stephen to contact Father Kevin to discuss the date and option of Mass or service
  2. Eva to research food recipes for shared meal to reflect cuisines of countries particularly effected by climate change such as Bangladesh.
  3. Eva to check CAFOD website for resources such as video to show on the evening, the quiz and climate dice game.
  4. Sian to contact musicians once date agreed to have music at the Mass/service.
  5. A note will be put in the bulletin to encourage other parishioners to be involved in preparations.

Lent

The Lenten reflections distributed each week at Mass appear to be well received. Eva agreed to ask for feedback at the Parish AGM next week.

Assist

Tim reported that Assist has a range of support for destitute asylum seekers and had their own night shelter.

May Day Trek

Parishioners will be taking part in this year’s May Day Trek. This has been advertised in the bulletin.

Future plans
Possible activities for next year include:

  • Presenting a film about refugees in Sheffield (Moving to Mars)
  • Having a Dream auction, possibly supporting a charity other than CAFOD, for example the Foodbank.

Date of next meeting

3 July 2019, 8pm, St Francis Presbytery. It was agreed to put a note in the bulletin about this and mention that there will be discussions of climate change related activities to encourage new members.

Parish Council Minutes – Wednesday 13 March 2019

Present: Anne Shepherd, Stephen Parker, Clare Byrne, Father Kevin Thornton, Richard Webster, Mike Campbell, Phil Rostant, Nick Neale (chair), Stephen Spooner, Lindsay Reynolds, Eva Kaltenthaler (minutes)
Apologies: Anthony Rossiter

Father Kevin opened the meeting with a prayer.

Matters arising
Maintenance issues:  The leak in the narthex has been repaired  The hall floor will be repaired over the April school holiday period  The garden wall is bulging and needs repointing. It is not clear whose wall it is. We need to check with the Diocesan Property Manager to determine this.

Parish Mass issues
A rota for Eucharistic ministers has been prepared and will come into effect from March 24th
More readers are needed and an e-mail will be sent round to encourage former readers to reconsider coming forward to read at Mass. We also need volunteers to act as welcomers as three are now required not two as previously. Volunteers are also needed for the tea and coffee rota.
Action: Lindsay to send list of readers to Phil
Action: Phil to e-mail former readers to encourage them to join the reading rota
Action: Clare to e-mail former welcomers and those previously on the tea and coffee rota to invite them to join the rotas

There are still some problems with parking especially for late comers. A note will go in the bulletin so that parishioners are aware that the football ground may not be used for parking.
Action: Nick to put note in the bulletin about parking

A suggestion box will go out in the Narthex on the 3rd Sunday of Lent for two weeks asking for positive suggestions to improve the Parish Mass.
The back of the church will now be opened up each Sunday as a matter of routine.

2

Youth Group
Richard reported that the Youth Group is going well so far. The people attending make and share a meal together and have discussions on suggested topics. They currently meet on Wednesdays but there may be difficulties with using the hall and upper room as the first communion classes will start soon. They may meet in people’s houses instead and are exploring a range of options. They are hoping to include St William’s parish in the near future.

Mission, Evangelisation and Faith Formation
Lindsay informed the council that St Williams is running an alpha course to start on 24 April. More information will be made available to St Francis so that St Francis parishioners can attend.

AGM
The AGM will be held on 7 May (Tuesday) at 8 pm.
Some members of the Parish council will be leaving in May as their term of office is finishing. More members will be needed.

Reports will be needed from all groups by 1 May:  Liturgy and Spirituality (Stephen Spooner/Stephen Parker/Clare/Mike)  Mission, Evangelisation and Faith Formation (Lindsay /Stephen Parker/Clare)  Justice and Peace (Eva)  Pastoral Care and Community (Anne)  Maintenance (David Hughes)  Communications (Anthony and Richard)  Liaison with St. Williams (Phil and Mike)

Action: Nick to put notes in the bulletin to encourage new members for the Parish Council and to inform the parish of the date and time of the AGM.
Action: Reports to Eva from all groups. These will be printed and displayed at the AGM
Action: Eva to contact finance officer (Derek Hemmingfield) and send e-mail reminder to parish council to bring cakes and help with set up.
Action: Eva and Stephen Spooner to buy refreshments

Any other business
Hallam Council of Churches
Anne reported that the Hallam Council of Churches are planning to visit St Francis on their walk on Good Friday. They aim to have a short service in the church followed by refreshments.
3

Action: Stephen Spooner to develop PowerPoint presentation of the St Francis Stations of the Cross
Action: Father Kevin to do the service
Action: Anne to organise refreshments

Schools
Stephen Spooner asked if there is anything we could do to support the many parishioners who are having difficulties getting their children into a Catholic primary school. St Francis is in a unique position in that children in the parish are only eligible for admittance to only one school (St Marie’s) while other parishes have more than one school. It was agreed that the Diocesan Primary School Advisor will be invited to the next parish council meeting to discuss the issue of school attendance for this parish.
Action: Nick to invite the Diocesan Primary School Advisor to the next parish council meeting

Confirmation
Confirmation should take place this year. It is unclear how many people are ready and interested in confirmation and we don’t have anyone lined up to do the catechesis.
Action: Father Kevin to gauge interest from parish for confirmation
Action: Stephen Parker agreed to deliver the course with Richard offering support if possible, depending on the timings.

The meeting was closed with a prayer from Father Kevin.
The next meeting will be held on 10 July 2019 (Wednesday); 7 pm in the Presbytery.

Parish Council Minutes – Wednesday 9 January 2019

Minutes St. Francis Parish Council Meeting 9.1.2019

Present: Fr. Kevin Thornton, Anthony Rossiter, Richard Webster, Lindsay Reynolds, Nick Neale (Chair), Claire Byrne, John Green, Anne Shepherd, Mike Campbell

Apologies: Eva and Stephen Spooner, Phil Rostant, Jacquie Stacey, Deacon Steven Parker.

The meeting began with a prayer

Matters arising from November meeting. 

Youth group:

  • Richard and Richard are leading and focussing on school yrs 10-13 with a 2 hr meeting once per month. So far members have enjoyed a shared meal. Second meeting tonight with 4 expected. Happy to start small and grow. Working on right balance of social and spiritual. In due course we will invite St. Williams yrs 10-13 to join..

Music group:

  • Richard believes it is going well including doing warm up outside church. The warm-up takes place in the hall, since the stairs to the upper room are tricky with instruments. Has being trying to combine different styles. Council had a discussion about having suitable background music (no congregation singing) during communion and then a hymn once distribution finished after the ministers returned to their seats which seemed to receive a general consensus. Also discussion about whether we should have occasional quiet mass.

Parish mass:

  • Nick has a survey planned for around March, details TBC later.
  • Also there was discussion on seating and a consensus that we should we be opening the screens before Mass as a matter of course as to do so at 11 or shortly after is disruptive and often a few extra rows are needed. The screen can be moved very quickly so assume we always do so at 10.55 and have some rows of seats ready. May need a rota to do this.  This would fit in with the music group finishing their practice at 10.55.
  • Newsletters do not need to be folded to make job easier for welcomers. Nick will pass this message on and also suggest that welcomers suggest gently the sharing of newsletters and books among families to ensure we do not run out unnecessarily before mass. We should monitor in general as we may need to purchase a few extra hymn and Mass books.
  • There has been some confusion and discomfort among Eucharist ministers due to lack of clarity about who will undertake the role each week. Nick will talk to Kevin Exell.

Hallam churches

They are organising walk on Good Friday and want to call in to St. Francis for snacks enroute mid-morning. Lunch further on the walk. Council supportive and Anne agreed to take liaison forward.

School admissions

Several families who attend mass have been unsuccessful at getting their children into St Marie’s. Criteria is baptism, siblings, catchment, etc. Basic problem seems to be that genuine demand exceeds supply, so unfortunately some regular mass attendees are missing out. Solution outside of parish council remit as the diocese needs more school spaces.

AOB 

  • There is a leak in narthex. Diocese sent Martin Brooks and obtained a quote for finding problem (not fixing) which is about £1500 and includes scaffolding. Problem not obvious from simple external inspection.
  • Guttering should be cleaned annually. Diocese will loan a system or we can hire a person they recommend; council agreed to the latter.
  • Hall floor will be done shortly after dance show, quote has been accepted.
  • Problem with the wall opposite the church entrance. It bilges slightly and the pointing has gone in part. Not sure who owns it so need diocese to look at deeds, issues and advise.

The meeting finished with a prayer

Future  meetings;  March 13th and AGM on May 8th.

Justice and Peace Minutes – Minutes of meeting 16.01.2019

Attendees: Sarah B, Susanne, Stephen, Sian (chair), Tim, Eva (minutes)

Apologies: Sarah L

Foodbank

Collections over the Christmas period were very good. Usually supplies go down in January and February and a note has been put in the bulletin to remind parishioners about the food bank. Sarah B will liaise with Father Kevin about arranging another collection day other than Sunday. She will also keep an eye on how the implementation of universal credit affects the need for foodbank donations.

CAFOD

The panto did well and raised over £1700.

The CAFOD parish appeal during Advent raised enough to buy one cow, four goats and one chicken on behalf of the Parish. This activity was deemed a success and it was suggested that this should be repeated next Advent.

Stephen will check CAFOD website for focus of activities for the coming year and report back at the next meeting.

Lent

A series of reflections to hand out each week in Lent was discussed. It was agreed that the Fasting/feasting Lenten theme used a few years ago could be repeated. Tim and Susanne agreed to reprint these for distribution each week. Stephen agreed to write some bidding prayers to link to each weekly theme and give these to Father Kevin. Tim will let him have the themes. Ash Wednesday is 6th March so all needs to be ready by then.

Assist

We discussed whether or not there was a night shelter in Sheffield for destitute asylum seekers. Assist has one and Tim agreed to find out more and report back on how we might get involved at our next meeting.

May Day Trek

Sian to find details of the May Day Trek for this year and make sure the information gets put into the bulletin so parishioners can take part.

Date of next meeting

1 May 2019, 8pm, St Francis Presbytery