Justice and Peace Minutes – Minutes of meeting 18.01.2018

Present:

  • Tim
  • Susanne
  • Stephen
  • Eva
  • Siân (Chair)

Apologies:

  • Sarah B
  • Margaret
  • Sarah L

Previous minutes

Minutes from the last meeting were accepted as accurate.

Matters arising

S2 Foodbank – Sarah B not present but information that for 2018 we need to get the Christmas treats/food in earlier as the food bank gives double plus Christmas goodies before Christmas and then close for 2 weeks.

Diocesan J+P – Eva is continuing to receive and send information. At present we are busy with our own projects. She met Fr Sean Smith when he came to say Mass here.

Church Action on Poverty – Sarah B not present.

Projects for 2017/18 – South Asian Floods – no special project was undertaken.

CAFOD

Connect 2 – Eva emailed about this but received no information back from CAFOD so not pursuing further.

Family Fast Day for Zimbabwe 23rd February. Government may double funds. Stephen to get information to talk before/after mass weekend before and put info in the bulletin about this.

Refugee Campaign from CAFOD, “Share the journey” – we will try to have bidding prayers in Lent. Stephen will speak/email Fr Kevin. Eva will put note in Franciscan. Email petition to Prime Minister to follow Easter and other activities later in the year.

Suggestion from Parish Day re providing “Tippy Taps” for hand washing in Africa. The group felt that it would be better to see if we could help with getting clean water to communities due to significant water shortages in Africa currently. We will look to see if through CAFOD or another charity we could fund a Borehole – possibly focus the fund raising at Christmas. If not we will fund latrine. EK to respond to parishioner who raised the suggestion.

AOB

Panto raised a fantastic £2100 with tickets and raffles of whiskey and other items.

Encourage support for the St Francis Dance Concerts in February. They are fund raising for CAFOD, Rohingya refugees and East Africa. Dates 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th February.

Date of next meeting Wed 11th April 2018 (unless objections) at 8pm.

Leave a Reply